No college or other affiliation needed. This class will also run from 2:30-4:30 at Village Books.
So important in our transition to more sustainable lifestyles is getting comfortable outdoors, and it's critical we stay safe by managing risks such as learning to navigate naturally. If you are already an expert navigator, this class will give you great teaching tools for use when hiking with novices. If you are “navigationally challenged,” then instructors Kim & Chris Chisholm hope the simple way we teach these skills will open a world of understanding for you in the wilderness.
Cost is $15 for one person, and $10 per additional friend/family member attending together. Please rsvp at wolfcollege.com or by calling our cell phone at 425-248-0253.
15 Min: Testing Dominance & Risk Management: Tips shared from our Search & Rescue background, and a test to see if you are “right or left dominant.”
20 Min: Top 10 Lostproofing Skills: From awareness to specific strategies.
20 Min: Top 10 Orienteering Skills: Find north-south-east-west naturally in order to walk in a straight line toward your destination.
20 Min: Top 10 Navigation Skills: Negotiate your way through nature without map or compass.
45 Min: Map & Compass: No matter whether you have GPS, our method of using map and compass is awesome for everyone.
30 Min: Orienteering Challenge: Time for the mini orienteering/geocache challenge that we have set up for you!
- Hats, warm clothes, and rain gear if necessary.
- Notebook plus Pencil & Red/Blue Pen.
- Compass if possible, but please note that "surveyor's compasses" and other non-map-compasses won't work. If you don't have a map/orienteering compass yet, try online, or cheaper sports stores for last-minute purchase, and we recommend the Rothco Orienteering Compass Item #337 for learning in the $10 price range, or the Brunton 15TDCL Compass if you want to go up to the next level in the $35 price range for precise mirrored sighting and adjustable declination. If you are hard-core, please share your more pricy suggestions at class:)
- Google Terrain Map of the WWU using the link: http://goo.gl/maps/LjaTf
and print at a quality that you can see the contour lines.
- Any other 10 Essentials you want.
• Wed, Jan 30, 2013: Wilderness Survival & Emergency Preparedness
• Wed, Feb 27, 2013: Local Wild Edible Plants & Backcountry Herbal Medicine
• Wed, Apr 24, 2013: Safety, Tracking, and Bird Alarms in Cougar, Wolf, and Bear Country