It's Erin Acker's birthday today!
- Blog Posts
- Groups (1)
- Photo Albums
- How are you currently involved in the Transition?
- I went to the Great Unleashing, and have gotten on lists for several work groups.
- In what ways do you identify with the Transition movement? Why are you interested?
- I am interested because it is essential for us to move away from being a fossil fuel based society. Our current way of life is unsustainable, and this transition is most certainly going to happen soon. The Transition movement has an excellent plan of action, especially the part about the great reskilling.
- Do you have particular interests, skills, talents or resources you would like to bring to Transition Whatcom?
- I am currently studying environmental science and economics at Western, and as I learn more and more will be able to apply that knowledge to problems our community is facing. I'm particularly interested in ecological restoration-- how we're going to fix the mess we've gotten ourselves into.
I'm also very interested in sustainable food and community gardening. I think it's incredibly important that we learn to grow and make food again, rather than just relying on farms and packaging from far away.
Unfortunately, at this point, my coursework at Western and my involvement with a club on campus (Students for Renewable Engergy) takes up a significant portion of my time, so I'm not sure how active I'll be able to be. However, hopefully I will be able to contribute in some way.
- In what neighborhood or part of the county do you reside?
- Sunnyland neighborhood
- Where did you hear about Transition Whatcom and how did you find our community network website?
- Someone handed me a flyer when I was downtown, so I showed up for the Great Unleashing.
- Please note that you do not have to answer all of the above questions in order to join, and you can always come back later to edit your profile. If it's all too many questions for now, please provide a short answer below on why you'd like to join this site (or a summary of the above, if answered).
- We are quickly reaching a point where we can no longer continue using fossil fuels due to a multitude of reasons, and I want to help our community transition away from our reliance upon them. I fully support everything Transition Whatcom is doing. Way to go!