Transition Whatcom

I'd love for us to learn and teach more Primitive and Traditional Living Skills at River Haven. There is a gathering held late summer at Skalitude Retreat Center that I would for sure attend (and have been wanting to attend), if I have the vacation time at my job :( I thought maybe some others would be interested, and perhaps could teach some of us what was learnt. Here is the e-mail I received on this.
"Friends,

Happy Solstice!  We hope this finds you doing well, and enjoying the start of summer.  We have been busy planting seeds in the garden, as well as setting intention for this year’s Saskatoon Circle.  We are excited to facilitate this gathering as people’s interest in the old ways is rejuvenated, and our desire to re-connect with the land grows.
We want to let you know that our website has been updated, and that you can now register for this year’s gathering online through PayPal.  Please check out our website at www.saskatooncircle.com for more info and registration logistics.  The dates for this years gathering are September 21- September 26th, 2011.  Saskatoon Circle is again being held in the beautiful North Cascades Wildlands at Skalitude Retreat Center.  Students can begin arriving on Wednesday noon to set up camp with our first meal together being Wednesday evening.  Classes will start after our opening circle on Thursday morning, and run through Sunday, with time to finish projects Monday morning.  The cost for the gathering is $225 if you register before 9/1 and $255 after 9/1.  Children 8-15 are $115. Fees include camping, parking, 2 awesome organic meals a day, and access to amazing hiking.  Skalitude’s permit for this event limits the total number of participants, so pre-registration is highly encouraged.  At this time, we are not offering any discounted rates for partial participation; we want to encourage a community vibe, and your experience as a student will be greatly enhanced by attending the gathering for the duration.  Again, check out our website for more information, including great photos from last years gathering. Feel free to contact us with specific questions.

We hope you will join with us around the fire!

Cameron and Eric
Saskatoon Circle Primitive and Traditional Living Skills Gathering

Cameron Green
Saskatoon Circle Primitive Skills Gathering
PO Box 201 
Carlton, WA 98814
http://www.saskatooncircle.com
http://www.saskatooncircle.blogspot.com"

Views: 274

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Travis,

I'd definitely be interested in coming out and working on primitive skills with whoever is into it. I haven't been doing anything for a while as I've been too busy learning about farming, but for a while I dabbled in a variety of skills. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm willing to share anything I know and also just learn new things with others. I used to be pretty proficient with the bow drill and hand drill for fire starting, but I'm pretty out of practice now. I've also played around with making cordage, basketry and hide tanning and try to go foraging somewhat regularly. There's a ton of other things I want to learn and it's always more fun with others.

Kate: Yes, great minds think alike :)\

Jesse: I e-mailed you, yes, that would be great. When can you come out?

Jaren: you're welcome :)

Travis,

Sounds like a great gathering. I spent several summers working with my friend Chris Chisholm, who runs Wolf Camp, teaching primitive skills, survival skills, nature awareness, etc. Topics run the gamut from cedarbark basketry and drum making with hides, bowdrill fire, tracking skills, edible native plants, survival treks, etc. There is a lot that I would love to share with others. I stepped away from that line of study several years ago and into the farming thing, because It seems to me that we probably won't be stepping quite that far backward and it's more important to grow our own food and set up our own energy and water systems. In addition, the wilderness around here just can't support this many people living hunter-gatherer style, I don't think. But, it is all good stuff to know and I would be happy to share what I can. Primitive fishing would be fun to practice out there.

Oops, I should have read the other posts first. Jesse: really? Wow, we practically typed up the same thing there!! haha, cool. Let's bust out the bowdrill material and brush up the skills!

I'm also attending the Sept Saskatoon Primative Living Skills event. 

I've just returned from the other side of the mountain, and met some of the folks who are using & sharing their skills, preparing to journey for a month in the woods using only what foods, clothing, tools, they make themselves.   Opportunities to learn before they journey in mid-August from Lynx. 

I met Lynx years ago at Rabbitstick, a primitive skills gathering in Idaho that I strongly recommend. At the time, she and some others had recently returned from a period of time on survival trek in NW Montana and had a lot to share. Glad they are still at it. That time they had taken a whole buffalo in with them to live off, I think! I was impressed with their buckskin clothing.

Heather K said:

I've just returned from the other side of the mountain, and met some of the folks who are using & sharing their skills, preparing to journey for a month in the woods using only what foods, clothing, tools, they make themselves.   Opportunities to learn before they journey in mid-August from Lynx. 

Our workshop led by Jesse and Krista went great! Here are a few pics. I hope to continue and offer more workshops soon.

Jesse going over various Tinders:

Trying out the Bow Drill:

Malarie making cordage w/ my daughters in the background :)

Ahh great to know another has met Lynx!  Yes she is still teaching & living the life, although still under the radar, though current local community very supportive of what she is sharing!

I can connect folks wanting to intern with her if its someone I've met in person and know/trust.

Would be great if someone was willing to post on our TW Events page the Sept Saskatoon Primitive Skills camp out event. - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saskatoon-Circle-Primitive-and-Tradit...

Hope more of our west-side cascade (Salish Sea watershed) tribe can journey to the other side for the Sept weekend.   Bring cedar bark if you have to share, and any dried native berries/plants would be useful to share.  Some folks on the other side are not too interested in seaweed or salmon any more due to Japan's nuclear mishaps effecting rain & seawater.

Krista, is someone encouragine you to apply for Coop grant for the Grain & Bean project?  Deadline upcoming in month or so. 

Give me call anytime, and all can call to come down for lakeside Heartsong Sanctuary swim time while the weather so warm!

Krista Rome said:

I met Lynx years ago at Rabbitstick, a primitive skills gathering in Idaho that I strongly recommend. At the time, she and some others had recently returned from a period of time on survival trek in NW Montana and had a lot to share. Glad they are still at it. That time they had taken a whole buffalo in with them to live off, I think! I was impressed with their buckskin clothing.

Heather K said:

Heather, what grant is that? I can't find it on their website. The Farm Fund grant happened in January, that's the one I got. This must be a different grant if the deadline is soon. Tell me more.
Travis, when you first envisioned this what skills interested you the most? We only taught fire by friction and cordage at the workshop. There are so many skills. What do you want to practice/learn/work on this fall and winter in this area?

RSS

© 2024   Created by David MacLeod.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service