Transition Whatcom

As it turns out, 20 years of using Roundup oon Monsanto's GMO crops is backfiring. The emergence of an increasing number of super weeds that are resistant to Roundup have many farmers back to old school methods of plowing and pulling weeds by hand. Using even more toxic chemical cocktails on their depeleted soils and further degrading our food supply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-environment/04wee...

In addition it is important to realize the high balance of Federal Farm Subsidies support GMO crops like corn and soybeans as the primary feed crops for Meat and Diary producers. The highest percentages of our federally funded farm aid programs go to crops that essentially promote obesity. Grain crops are favored for their ability to be stored and exported to places like China and Russia. Vegetables and legumes get less than 1.9% federal subsidies. Why is that? Do you think our Federal Food and Drug Adminstration skews support to crops that don't have Big Farm or Big Pharma incentives? I bring up Big Pharma because they stand to benefit from making us and our cows, pigs and chickens both fat and sick.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/03/25/doctors-warn-avoid-genetically-modified-food.aspx

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) is asking physicians to prescribe diets without genetically modified (GM) foods to all patients and has proposed a moratorium on genetically modified organisms (GMOs), futher staing:

"Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food, including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who are our 'old-school' local farmers who have the knowledge & understand the importance of saving seed, and resisting using or importing any animal feeds or human foods effected by the Genetically Modified Organisms?

I know of many folks who want to get together with these farmers/growers and assist them with sharing their knowledge with their local farmer friends & neighbors. There are rural areas across the country that have created ordinances to protect their lands & their families from the toxic effects of some corporations that distort the truth and allow greed for profit & control lead their actions.

If you know of a farmer who understands let us know who they, are and we can stand together.
Heather K said:
Who are our 'old-school' local farmers who have the knowledge & understand the importance of saving seed, and resisting using or importing any animal feeds or human foods effected by the Genetically Modified Organisms?

I know of many folks who want to get together with these farmers/growers and assist them with sharing their knowledge with their local farmer friends & neighbors. There are rural areas across the country that have created ordinances to protect their lands & their families from the toxic effects of some corporations that distort the truth and allow greed for profit & control lead their actions.

If you know of a farmer who understands let us know who they, are and we can stand together.

Heather, I understand many of our farmers are aging and one organization that knows who and where they are is 'Farm Friends' whose aim is to encourage a younger crop of farmers to preserve their wisdom. Failing that we have the FIREFOX series of books which certainly saved a number of old school methods as a legacy. Have you read them? Brilliant series of well documented 'how to' books on everything from breeding goats to building an outhouse, written in the 70's I think.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by David MacLeod.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service