Transition Whatcom

There was discussion at our 2/28 workgroup meeting about the need for a widely accessible location in which to collect content for our EDAP.  Based on very limited prior experience with the it, I offered to check out the Wiki Space web tool as a possibiliy. 

I have created a Wiki named TWGuidebook just to see how this tool looks and feels.  I've invited a few other workgroup members to join the Wiki as authors and add a page or two, but anyone can see the content and participate in the discussions ( I think).  At least, that's what I thought I did. 

Since I went through the registration process to create the Wiki to begin with, I don't really know what you do to visit it as a "guest."  It would be great if a couple of people could check out that aspect of the tool and comment.  Go ahead and join the discussion on the Wiki or comment here if you prefer.  I think you can find the Wiki at or near:

http://twguidebook.wikispaces.com/

Nothing that you see or read on the Wiki represents the views of TW, the workgroup, or even of me.  But I had to fill the space with something.  TIA.

Tris

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

Tris,

Yes, the site is publicly viewable by non-members. I think Wikispaces is a good tool to use for this.  We used Wikispaces for both the original Peak Oil Task Force planning, and for the actual ERSPO work. 

The only downside is that It can be challenging for some people to learn and remember the ins and outs of using Wikispaces...and people will always tend to fall back on just communicating via email.  They will need to be reminded that, as Les Squires has said, "email is the place where good ideas go to die."  Meaning that email is not a good tool for keeping track of info and input on projects like this.

Some people really like to use Google Documents.  I've not used Google Documents enough to know if it might be a better tool than Wikispaces...check with Rhys and Travis for their opinions.

Do feel free to browse the Peak Oil Task Force wiki and the ERSPO wikifor lots of background info and ideas that might be useful for the EDAP. 

Thanks for the comments David.  Yes, there is a learning curve.  My thought was that if we wanted to use a WIki, we might  allow email input from contributors and it could just be pasted into a Wiki page.  Any writing I do will be done in Word (where there is a spell checker) and pasted in for sure.

It also might be necessary to hold a Wiki workshop for our key contributors so we'd have a good number of people fairly comfortable with it.  I'm not sure what people will want to do, though, and  Google Docs is fine with me if it does the job. I'll have to take a look and see what all it does.

Tris

David MacLeod said:

Tris,

Yes, the site is publicly viewable by non-members. I think Wikispaces is a good tool to use for this.  We used Wikispaces for both the original Peak Oil Task Force planning, and for the actual ERSPO work. 

The only downside is that It can be challenging for some people to learn and remember the ins and outs of using Wikispaces...and people will always tend to fall back on just communicating via email.  They will need to be reminded that, as Les Squires has said, "email is the place where good ideas go to die."  Meaning that email is not a good tool for keeping track of info and input on projects like this.

Some people really like to use Google Documents.  I've not used Google Documents enough to know if it might be a better tool than Wikispaces...check with Rhys and Travis for their opinions.

Do feel free to browse the Peak Oil Task Force wiki and the ERSPO wikifor lots of background info and ideas that might be useful for the EDAP. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by David MacLeod.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service