Transition Whatcom

For those interested in more information about using seaweeds for protection from radioactive toxins, I've taken excerpts from local expert Ryan Drum's website. I've highlighted why taking seaweed (iodine),  protects from radiation poisoning, and in the second excerpt, highlighted how seaweed substances remove radioactive and heavy metals. I've included links to the extended articles.

IODINE PROTECTION
The iodine story as related to human health took an interesting turn when Uranium was used to cause nuclear fission: one of the decay products of nuclear explosions is Iodine 131. That means not only nuclear weapons, bombs, but also, all of the controlled nuclear events in Nuclear reactor fuel rods. ALL NUCLEAR FACILITIES release radioactive Iodine 131 into the atmosphere. Hundreds of them are licensed to do so. This means that we are all continually and erratically dusted with Iodine 131 every day of every year. As shown by reliable research for over 50 years, nuclear power plant stack gases circle the earth in 3-5 days, continuously dusting us all until all settled. Additionally, there are nuclear disasters, such as Three-mile Island in USA and Chernobyl in Ukraine. The Chernobyl disaster on 26.April 1986 released enormous quantities of Iodine 131 into the atmosphere. Since then, millions of iodine131-induced thyroid disease patients have been reported worldwide starting shortly after the event and continuing today. Relatively rare 20 years ago and unknown prior to 1945, thyroid cancer is now the number one cancer in children in USA. Thyroid cancer is one of the fastest increasing cancers in both adult men and women.

Iodine 131 is hazardous because our bodies will happily take it in if we need iodine. Since prior to the human atomic age there was no iodine 131, we have no defense against it if we need iodine, and no way to selectively excrete it.

IF we have sufficient iodine in our bodies, Iodine 127, the only natural iodine isotope, our bodies will not take in the heavier iodine 131. How the weighing is done is an interesting question to be considered elsewhere. The critical information is: if we continually take in 150 micrograms of iodine 127 daily, we will most likely be protected from iodine-deficiency “iodine aggressive uptake”. We can do this by eating 5-10 grams of seaweeds daily. If we are worried about iodine 131 which reasonably might be expected in the seaweed, we can let the seaweed iodine 131 if any, decay for 8 weeks. How do we know and expect this seaweed iodine to be protective against iodine 131 fallout and decay? The Polish example. Within hours after the onset of the Chernobyl disaster, Polish authorities acted to get iodine solutions, potassium and sodium iodide tablets, even seaweed tablets and capsules into as many of their citizens as possible to protect them from the nearby huge amounts of iodine 131 coming their way. Over the intervening 20 years, the Polish people treated with iodine 127 have almost 1000 time less thyroid disease than neighboring countries even further than Poland from the Chernobyl disaster site.

Unfortunately, ALL Nuclear Power Plants are nuclear disasters waiting to happen. Not because of evil intent (we hope) but because of mechanical and materials deterioration and human error. Hundreds more nuclear power plants are planned, especially by developing countries anxious to reduce their energy dependencies on fossil fuels. Of course, that will mean increasingly huge amounts of radioactive iodine 131 into the atmosphere and huge quantities of nuclear waste begging for safe disposal. Simpler of course, would be to boil water with solar mirrors. All nuclear power plants so far are just fancy water boilers. Strange.

http://ryandrum.com/seaweeds.htm

Active Removal Of Radioactive and Heavy Metal Toxic Cations: The phycocolloids, Algin in all brown algae, and Carageenan and Agar in many red algae, aggressively trap metallic ions. The isolated colloids and/or the seaweeds containing them can be used to remove heavy metals from our food and bodies and carry those metals out in the stool. Although many seaweeds contain some radioactive elements, careful research indicates that these elements are usually not released into our food or bodies. Powdered Kelp(s), algin, even sodium alginate, are effectively used to move radioactive and heavy metals out of the body. The metabolic process is slow and deliberate. The Swedish government first recommended a 5 gm/day dose of powdered Kelp, Algin or sodium alginate as both a detox treatment and a protective treatment against radioactive fallout circa 1954. The United States Atomic Energy Commission did as well in about 1956; this was later rescinded in about 1960, so as not to alarm the public unduly. Unfortunately, we are regularly taking in radioactive isotopes from the total world contamination by continual radioactive fallout from all nuclear power plants, weapons facilities and past nuclear ÍtestsÎ. We are all radioactively hot. We have no choice. All of our food, air, soil, and water is contaminted. Any way we can reduce our total body burden of radioactive isotopes will help our health., by reducing our personal exposure to ionizing radiation from radioactive isotope decay in our respective bodies. (See: S. Schecter and S. Smith). Dietary phycocolloids also bulk and soften the stool, soothe the GI tract, and help relieve chronic constipation. CAUTION: Red seaweeds high in Carageenan can irritate the inner bowel lining in patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, CrohnÌs disease, or ulcerative colitis, probably by local lining astringency water extraction.

http://ryandrum.com/seaxpan1.html

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Angela for sharing Ryan Drum's info!  As nuclear power plants are all over the globe, it does make sense to add to our diets protective seaweeds.  Usually the coop will host one of Ryan's classes once a year.

Finding a pure source of seaweed has become more of a challenge to those of us wild harvestors.

I've also been adding some medicinal mushrooms from Paul Stamets business- http://www.fungi.com/ (He has a tincture mix of 17 medicinal mushrooms called 'My Community" which is tested  to have no toxins.

The knowledge our local community is learning about using the  fungi/mushroom family to remove toxins from our soils will also be helpful for us in maintaining healthy soils to grow our nourishment.

Here's a video link to those who haven't heard one of Pauls 20" TED talks- http://transitionwhatcom.ning.com/video/mushroom-mycelium

While we walk the earth, may we still sing songs, dance, and plant seeds!

Here is another link for more information about how to mitigate radiation...first go to the following youtube to give you an overview of the information. After you watch, you can go to www.greenmedinfo.com. Everyone can sign in with the name of "sproutlet" and the password is "free". There is valuable information on this site and our regular media is not going to offer this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDip_YA8XLE

I'm glad a friend sent these links to me and so I offer them to you.

Phyllis Shacter

Thanks for posting this. I forwarded it to a friend in Japan. I read somewhere that after Chernobyl, the rate of stillborn children was higher in Washington state than anywhere else in the US due to all the rain we have here transporting the radiation from the air to our soil. The rate of stillborn children born here was up something like 256% compared to the rest of the west coast where the increase was something like 86%.

I am taking a teaspoon of  chlorella powder in water twice a day to detox myself and I'm drinking miso soup, miso will also help protect us and so will any kind of seaweed. If I were a pregnant woman I'd be especially mindful of ways to protect myself and my unborn child right now. Please forward this to anyone you know around here who is pregnant especially. We're all going to need to become a lot more conscious of radiation from now on so thanks again for posting this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by David MacLeod.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service